(a) The prohibitions against discrimination in the sale or rental of housing set forth in section five of this article shall apply to all dwellings except as hereinafter exempted. Nothing in section five of this article, other than subsection (b) of this section, shall apply to the rental of a room or rooms in a rooming house occupied by the owner as a place of residence and containing no more than four rented rooms or rooms to be rented. Solely for the purposes of familial status, nothing in section five shall apply to:
(1) Any single-family house sold or rented by an owner: Provided, That such private individual owner does not own more than three such single-family houses at any one time: Provided, however, That in the case of the sale of any such single-family house by a private individual owner not residing in such house at the time of such sale or who was not the most recent resident of such house prior to such sale, the exemption granted by this subsection shall apply only with respect to one such sale within any twenty-four month period: Provided further, That such bona fide private individual owner does not own any interest in, nor is there owned or reserved on his behalf under any express or voluntary agreement, title to or any right to all or a portion of the proceeds from the sale or rental of more than three such single-family houses at any one time: And provided further, That the sale or rental of any such single-family house shall be excepted from the application of this article only if such house is sold or rented:
(A) Without the use in any manner of the sales or rental facilities or the sales or rental services of any real estate broker, agent or salesman, or of such facilities or services of any person in the business of selling or renting dwellings, or of any employee or agent of any such broker, agent, salesman or person; and
(B) Without the publication, posting or mailing, after notice, of any advertisement or written notice in violation of subsection (c), section five of this article; but nothing in this proviso shall prohibit the use of attorneys, escrow agents, abstractors, title companies and other such professional assistance as necessary to perfect or transfer the title; or
(2) Rooms or units in dwellings containing living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by no more than four families living independently of each other, if the owner actually maintains and occupies one of such living quarters as his residence.
(b) For the purposes of subsection (a) of this section, a person shall be deemed to be in the business of selling or renting dwellings if:
(1) He has within the preceding twelve months participated as principal in three or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein;
(2) He has within the preceding twelve months participated as agent, other than in the sale of his own personal residence, in providing sales or rental facilities or sales or rental services in two or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein; or
(3) He is the owner of any dwelling designed or intended for occupancy by or occupied by five or more families.