‹ Back  |  print page Print

§7-2-4. Change of name of unincorporated town or of district; petition; notice.

When the people of any town or village not incorporated, or of a district in a county, are desirous to change the name of such town, village or district, they may petition the county court, or other tribunal established in lieu thereof, of the county wherein such town, village or district is situated; and if it appear to such court or other tribunal that a majority of the actual resident voters of such town, village or district is in favor of such change, it shall cause the following described notice to be published as a Class I legal advertisement in compliance with the provisions of article three, chapter fifty-nine of this code, and the publication area for such publication shall be the town, village or district, as the case may be. The notice shall be published at least thirty days prior to the sitting of such court or tribunal. The notice shall state the fact that a petition has been presented to the court or tribunal by the people of such town, village or district, praying for such change, and that unless those interested in the change appear at the next term, or such term as the court or tribunal may designate, and show cause why such change should not be made, there will be an order rendered granting such change, which notice shall be signed by the president of the court or tribunal.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature ****