(a) General. -- When used in this article, or in the administration of this article, terms defined in subsection (b) of this section have the meanings ascribed to them by this section, unless a different meaning is clearly required by the context in which the term is used.
(b) Terms defined. –-
(1) "Claims made malpractice insurance policy" means a medical malpractice liability insurance policy that covers claims which:
(A) Are reported during the policy period,
(B) Meet the provisions specified by the policy, and
(C) Are for an incident which occurred during the policy period, or occurred prior to the policy period, as is specified by the policy.
(2) "Combined annual medical liability insurance premiums" means the sum of the actual amount of insurance premiums paid by or on behalf of the taxpayer during the taxable year for medical malpractice insurance coverage under a claims made malpractice insurance policy, plus the actual amount of insurance premiums paid by or on behalf of the taxpayer during the taxable year for tail insurance.
(3) "Eligible taxpayer" means any person subject to tax under section sixteen, article twenty-seven of this chapter or a physician who is a partner, member, shareholder or employee of an eligible taxpayer.
(4) "Eligible taxpayer organization" means a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation that is an eligible taxpayer.
(5) "Payor" means a natural person who is a partner, member, shareholder or owner, in whole or in part, of an eligible taxpayer organization and who pays medical malpractice insurance premiums or tail insurance premiums or both for or on behalf of the eligible taxpayer organization.
(6) "Person" means and includes any natural person, corporation, limited liability company, trust or partnership.
(7) "Physicians' services" means health care provider services taxable under section sixteen, article twenty-seven of this chapter, performed in this state by physicians licensed by the state Board of Medicine or the state board of osteopathic medicine.
(8) "Tail insurance" means insurance which covers an eligible taxpayer insured once a claims made malpractice insurance policy is canceled, not renewed or terminated and which covers claims made or asserted after such cancellation or termination for acts relating to the provision of physicians' services by the eligible taxpayer occurring during the period the prior malpractice insurance was in effect.
(9) "Tail insurance premium" means insurance coverage premiums paid by an eligible taxpayer or payor during the taxable year for tail insurance.
(10) "Tail liability" means the medical malpractice liability of an eligible taxpayer insured that results from a claim asserted subsequent to cancellation, nonrenewal or termination of a claims made malpractice insurance policy for acts relating to the provision of physicians' services by the eligible taxpayer occurring during the period when the prior malpractice insurance was in effect.