(a) In addition to the rate of the tax imposed by sections nine and fifteen of this article on providers of inpatient and outpatient hospital services, there is imposed on certain eligible acute care hospitals an additional tax of seventy-five one-hundredths of one percent on the gross receipts received or receivable by eligible acute care hospitals that provide inpatient or outpatient hospital services in this state through a directed payment program, or its successor, in accordance with 42 C. F. R. 438.6.
(b) For purposes of this section, the term “eligible acute care hospital” means any inpatient or outpatient hospital conducting business in this state that is not:
(1) A state-owned or -designated facility;
(2) A critical access hospital, designated as a critical access hospital after meeting all federal eligibility criteria;
(3) A licensed free-standing psychiatric or medical rehabilitation hospital; or
(4) A licensed long-term acute care hospital.
(c) There is continued a special revenue account in the State Treasury designated the Medicaid State Share Fund. The amount of taxes collected under this section, including any interest, additions to tax and penalties collected under article ten of this chapter, less the amount of allowable refunds, the amount of any interest payable with respect to such refunds and costs of administration and collection, shall be deposited into the Special Revenue Fund and may not revert to general revenue. The Tax Commissioner shall establish and maintain a separate account and accounting for the funds collected under this section in an account to be designated as the Eligible Acute Care Provider Enhancement Account. The amounts collected shall be deposited, within fifteen days after receipt by the Tax Commissioner, into the Eligible Acute Care Provider Enhancement Account. Disbursements from the Eligible Acute Care Provider Enhancement Account within the Medicaid State Share Fund may only be used to support West Virginia Medicaid and the directed payment program, or its successor, in accordance with 42 C. F. R. 438.6 and as otherwise set forth in this section.
(d) The imposition and collection of taxes imposed by this section is suspended immediately upon the occurrence of any of the following:
(1) The effective date of any action by Congress that would disqualify the taxes imposed by this section from counting toward state Medicaid funds available to be used to determine the federal financial participation;
(2) The effective date of any decision, enactment or other determination by the Legislature or by any court, officer, department, agency of office of state or federal government that has the effect of disqualifying the tax from counting toward state Medicaid funds available to be used to determine federal financial participation for Medicaid matching funds or creating for any reason a failure of the state to use the assessment of the Medicaid program as described in this section; and
(3) If the tax payments remitted by the eligible acute care hospitals are not used to effectuate the provisions of this article.
(e) Any funds remaining in the Eligible Acute Care Provider Enhancement Account as of June 30, 2017, shall be transferred to the West Virginia Medical Services Fund. This transfer shall occur no later than September 30, 2017. These funds shall be used during state fiscal year 2018 at the discretion of the Bureau for Medical Services.
(f) The changes to the tax rate in this section enacted in the 2017 regular session are effective July 1, 2017.
(g) The tax imposed by this section expires on and after June 30, 2018, unless otherwise extended by the Legislature.