As used in this article:
(1) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of the Bureau for Public Health.
(2) "Freestanding birthing center" means any health care facility in which births routinely occur, regardless of whether the facility is located on the campus of another health care facility, and which is not licensed under article five-b of this chapter.
(3) "Hospital" means a hospital licensed under the provisions of article five-b of this chapter.
(4) "Nurse-midwife" means an individual authorized under article fifteen, chapter thirty of this code to practice nurse-midwifery.
(5) "Physician" means an individual authorized under article three or fourteen, chapter thirty of this code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.