‹ Back  |  print page Print

§16-5-25. Correction and amendment of vital records.

(a) In order to protect the integrity and accuracy of vital records, a certificate or report registered under this article may be amended only in accordance with the provisions of this article or legislative rule.

(b) A certificate or report that is amended under this section must indicate that it has been amended, except as otherwise provided in this section or by legislative rule: Provided, That the department shall prescribe by legislative rule the conditions under which additions or corrections of minor deficiencies, including, but not limited to, the omission or misspelling of a first name, may be made to certificates or records within one year of the event without the certificate indicating that it has been amended.

(c) The State Registrar shall maintain a record which identifies the evidence upon which the amendment was based, the date of amendment, and the identity of the person making the amendment.

(d) Upon receipt of a certified copy of a court order of a court of competent jurisdiction changing the name of a person born in this state, and upon request of the person whose name is to be changed or his or her parent, guardian or legal representative, the state Registrar shall amend the certificate of birth to reflect the new name.

(e) If the required evidentiary documentation is not filed with the application for amending a vital record or the state Registrar has cause to question the validity or adequacy of the evidentiary documentation, the state Registrar may not amend the vital record and shall advise the applicant of his or her right to seek an order from a court of competent jurisdiction.

(f) When the state Registrar amends a certificate or report, he or she shall report the amendment to any other custodian of the vital record.

(g) When an amendment is made to a certificate of marriage or record of divorce or annulment, the local official issuing the marriage license or the court ordering the divorce or annulment shall forward copies of the amendment to the state Registrar.

(h) In addition to providing the information necessary to amend a certificate or record, a person whose name is to appear on the amended certificate as a parent shall furnish the social security number or numbers, issued to the parent, which must be forwarded to the state Registrar along with the information required for the amended certificate.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature ****