The division shall be administered, under the general supervision and direction of the secretary of the Department of Education and the arts or, if required by federal law his or her designated state board, by a director appointed by said secretary, or if required by federal law his or her designated state board in accordance with established personnel standards and on the basis of his or her education, training, experience and demonstrated ability.
In carrying out his or her duties under this article, the director shall:
(1) Appoint such personnel as he or she deems necessary for the efficient performance of the functions of the division.
(2) Establish a merit system of personnel management, or in lieu thereof, avail himself or herself of the services of the state merit system upon payment of a fair share of the expenses of the operation of such system.
(3) Make regulations governing the protection of records and confidential information; the manner and form of filing applications for vocational rehabilitation services, eligibility therefor, and investigation and determination thereof; procedures for fair hearings; and such other matters as may be necessary or desirable in accomplishing the purposes of this article.
(4) Have the authority to establish and operate a staff development program for the employees of the division and may, in furtherance of such a program, and utilizing any funds appropriated or made available, for such purpose, pay to such employees compensation or expenses, or both, while such employees are pursuing approved training courses or academic studies for the purpose of becoming better equipped for their employment in such division; such staff development program shall be conducted subject to appropriate rules as adopted by the director and approved by the state board: Provided, That such rules shall include reasonable provisions for the return of any employee, receiving the benefits of such training, for a reasonable period of duty, or for reimbursement to the state for expenditures incurred on behalf of the training of such employee.
(5) Establish appropriate subordinate administrative units within the division.
(6) Prepare and submit to the secretary of the Department of Education and the arts or his or her designated state board annual reports of activities and expenditures and, prior to each regular session of the Legislature, estimates of sums required for carrying out the provisions of this article and estimates of the amounts to be made available for this purpose from all sources.
(7) Make requisition for disbursement, in accordance with regulations of the funds available for vocational rehabilitation purposes.
(8) Take such other action as may be deemed necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this article.