There is established a West Virginia advanced placement center to provide statewide coordination for the continued growth and development of the advanced placement programs in West Virginia high schools. The center will assist the West Virginia Department of Education, county boards of education, institutions of higher education, the college board, inc., and the West Virginia advanced placement advisory council in all matters relative to the advanced placement in this state.
The specific functions of the center include:
(1) Coordinating advanced placement teacher training institutes;
(2) Establishing a cadre of instructors for the advanced placement teacher training institutes;
(3) Providing follow-up teacher training for advanced placement teachers;
(4) Identifying and obtaining external sources of funding;
(5) Networking advanced placement teachers through an advanced placement newsletter;
(6) Serving as a liaison for the college board and the West Virginia Department of Education, county boards of education, institutions of higher education, the West Virginia advanced placement advisory council, the Legislature and the Governor;
(7) Conducting research and evaluating the state's advanced placement program;
(8) Assisting county boards of education and local schools in establishing, evaluating and maintaining advanced placement programs;
(9) Serving as a clearinghouse for advanced placement materials and correspondence; and
(10) Certify individual courses that meet the established standards of advanced placement programs.