‹ Back  |  print page Print

§18B-19-10. Authorization to sell and transfer property; use of proceeds.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this code to the contrary, the commission, council and governing boards each may sell, lease, convey or otherwise dispose of all or part of any real property that it owns, either by contract or at public auction, and shall retain the proceeds of the transaction.

The commission, council and governing boards may not sell, convey or otherwise dispose of any real property without first performing the following steps:

(1) Providing for property appraisal by two independent licensed appraisers. The property may not be sold for less than the average of the two appraisals;

(2) Providing notice to the public in the county in which the real property is located by a Class II legal advertisement pursuant to section two, article three, chapter fifty-nine of this code;

(3) Holding a public hearing on the issue in the county in which the real property is located;

(4) For real property with a proposed sale price of $50,000 or greater, ten days prior to the placement of the Class II legal advertisement, providing written notice to the county commission and municipalities in the county in which the real estate property is located and all members of the Legislature, and

(5) In the case of the commission, notifying the Joint Committee on Government and Finance.

(b) The commission, council or a governing board may not lease real property for an annual amount of greater than $50,000 without satisfying the obligations of subdivisions (2) to (4) of subsection (a) of this section.

(c) The commission, council or a governing board shall deposit the net proceeds from the sale, conveyance or other disposal of real property into a special revenue account in the State Treasury to the credit of the commission, council, or governing board that sold, conveyed or otherwise disposed of the real property.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature ****