(a) The governing board of a state institution of higher education is granted the additional powers and assigned the associated duties pursuant to this section previously granted and assigned to the governing boards of Marshall University and West Virginia University, ifthe commission or council, as appropriate, approves granting the powers and assigning the duties to that governing board.(b) The powers and duties that may be granted and assigned pursuant to this section are the following:(1) Sections five, six and seven, article three, chapter twelve of this code;
(2) Section two, article three of this chapter;
(3) Sections five, six and seven, article four of this chapter;
(4) Section seven, article five of this chapter; and
(5) Section six-a, article ten of this chapter.
(c) Additional powers and duties related to purchasing -- The powers and duties granted and assigned to the governing boards of Marshall University and West Virginia University by section four, article five of this chapter are extended to the governing boards of all other state institutions of higher education under the following conditions:
(1) The commission and council shall conduct a study to determine the capacity of each governing board under their respective jurisdictions to implement the additional powers and carry out the additional assigned duties related to purchasing;
(2) Based upon the findings of the study, the commission and council shall approve the governing boards under their respective jurisdictions that they determine have the capacity to exercise the powers and carry out the assigned duties pursuant to section four, article five of this chapter; and
(3) The commission and council shall report their findings together with a list of the governing boards they each have approved to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability by December 1, 2011.
(d) The commission and council have the power and the duty to monitor participation and provide technical assistance, as requested or required, to governing boards under their respective jurisdictions and to limit or rescind exercise of the powers, in whole or in part, granted by this section to a governing board if, in the sole determination of the commission or council, as appropriate, that action is warranted.