(a) The commission and the council each shall develop a master plan for public higher education that is closely aligned with the goals and objectives of this article and section one-a, article one of this chapter as they relate to the missions of institutions under their respective jurisdictions.
(b) The authority of the commission and the council, respectively, related to developing and implementing statewide master plans is subject to the following conditions:
(1) The master plans shall be established for periods of not more than five years.
(2) The master plans in place on the effective date of this article continue in effect until the end of the five-year planning cycle unless amended or rescinded by the commission or council, respectively, pursuant to this article.
(3) Any new master plan proposed by the commission or council shall be communicated to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability and may not be adopted or implemented without the approval of that body;
(4) The commission and council each shall perform a comprehensive review of its master plan at least annually and shall revise it periodically as appropriate to meet state goals and objectives.
(5) The commission and the council each shall review the progress of its higher education system in meeting the goals and objectives of the master plan and report to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability, with detailed recommendations for amending the plan, by January 1, 2009, and annually thereafter.
(6) At the end of each five-year planning cycle and as an integral part of the preparation of a new master plan, the commission and the council, respectively, shall prepare and submit to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability a comprehensive report containing at least the following:
(A) A detailed, data-based analysis of the progress of the system and the institutions within the system toward meeting each goal and objective included in the current plan; and
(B) A strategy for using this data as a basis for developing the master plan for the next planning cycle.
(c) The master plan shall include a detailed set of system objectives designed to meet the state goals and objectives outlined in this article and section one-a, article one of this chapter, including, but not limited to, the following:
(A) A well-developed analysis of missions, degree offerings, resource requirements, physical plant needs, personnel needs, enrollment levels and other planning determinants and projections for public higher education and other matters necessary in such a plan to assure that the needs of the state for a quality system of higher education are addressed; and
(B) A strategy for cooperation and collaboration with the state Board of Education and State Department of Education, state institutions of higher education, the counterpart state coordinating board and other relevant education providers to assure that a comprehensive and seamless system of education is developed and implemented for West Virginia.