‹ Back  |  print page Print

§18B-5-7. Disposition of obsolete and unusable equipment, surplus supplies and other unneeded materials.

(a) The commission, the council and the governing boards shall dispose of obsolete and unusable equipment, surplus supplies and other unneeded materials, either by transfer to other governmental agencies or institutions, by exchange or trade, or by sale as junk or otherwise. The commission, the council and each governing board shall adopt rules governing and controlling the disposition of all such equipment, supplies and materials. The rules shall provide for disposition of the equipment, supplies and materials as sound business practices warrant under existing circumstances and conditions and for adequate prior notice to the public of the disposition.

(b) The commission, council or governing board, as appropriate, shall report biannually to the Legislative Auditor all sales of commodities made during the preceding biennium. The report shall include a description of the commodities sold, the name of the buyer to whom each commodity was sold, the price paid by the buyer.

(c) The proceeds of sales or transfers shall be deposited in the state treasury to the credit on a pro rata basis of the fund or funds from which the purchase of the particular commodities or expendable commodities was made. The commission, council or governing board, as appropriate, may charge and assess fees reasonably related to the costs of care and handling with respect to the transfer, warehousing, sale and distribution of state property that is disposed of or sold pursuant to the provisions of this section.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, the commission, council or a governing board may donate equipment, supplies and materials with the approval of the commission, council or governing board or their designee, as appropriate to any not for profit entity to promote public welfare.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature **