‹ Back  |  print page Print



§19-21-3. Petition to establish district.

Proceedings to establish and organize a drainage, levee or reclamation district shall be commenced by three or more owners of real property within the proposed district, whose lands will be affected by the proposed improvement, filing a petition in the circuit court, or before the judge thereof in vacation, of the county wherein such lands and other property proposed to be organized into a drainage, levee or reclamation district are situated. Upon the filing of such petition the court, or the judge thereof in vacation, shall require a bond in sufficient penalty to be given and filed, with good and sufficient surety, and conditioned for the payment of all preliminary costs and expenses that may be incurred in case the district is not formed. If the lands to be included in the proposed district are situated in two or more counties, then the petition may be filed in the office of the clerk of the circuit court, or before the judge thereof in vacation, of either of the counties in which such lands are situated, and such court shall retain jurisdiction thereafter regardless of county lines.

The petition shall describe in a general way, and by reference to roads, streams, railroads and other landmarks, the body of land or other property proposed to be reclaimed, drained, leveed, improved and embraced within the district, and shall set forth in a general way the conditions existing and the advantages that will result from the proposed improvement. It also shall indicate opposite the name of each signer the approximate acreage of each signer which will be affected. Said petition also shall contain a prayer that the lands described therein be declared a drainage district under the provisions of this article. The petition may be amended or supplemented at any time before the drainage, levee or reclamation district is fully and completely organized.

The petition may be signed by any landowner, male or female, married or single; guardians or committees may sign for their wards, and trustees, executors and administrators may sign for the estates represented by them. If the signature of any corporation, by its authorized officer or officers, is attached thereto, attested by the corporate seal, the same shall be sufficient evidence of the assent of the corporation to such petition. Any person having signed the petition shall have no right to have such proceedings dismissed as to him without the written consent of the majority in acreage of the owners who signed the petition.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2020 West Virginia Legislature ***