Unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning or defined elsewhere in this chapter, as used in this article:
(1) "Beneficial use" means the use or reuse of whole waste tires or tire derived material which are reused in constructing retaining walls, rebuilding highway shoulders and subbase, building highway crash attenuation barriers and other civil engineering applications, feed hopper or watering troughs for livestock, other agricultural uses approved by the Department of Environmental Protection, playground equipment, boat or truck dock construction, house or building construction, go-cart, motorbike or race track barriers, recapping, alternative daily cover or similar types of beneficial applications: Provided, That waste tires may not be reused as fencing, as erosion control structures, along stream banks or river banks or reused in any manner where human health or the environment, as determined by the Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection, is put at risk.
(2) "Brand" means the name, symbol, logo, trademark, or other information that identifies a product rather than the components of the product.
(3) "Collected for commercial purposes" means taking solid waste for disposal from any person for remuneration regardless of whether or not the person taking the solid waste is a common carrier by motor vehicle governed by article two, chapter twenty-four-a of this code.
(4) "Computer" means a desktop, personal computer or laptop computer, including the computer monitor. Computer does not include a personal digital assistant device, computer peripheral devices such as a mouse or other similar pointing device, a printer or a detachable keyboard.
(5) "Court" means any circuit, magistrate or municipal court.
(6) "Covered electronic device" means a television, computer or video display device with a screen that is greater than four inches measured diagonally. "Covered electronic device" does not include a video display device that is part of a motor vehicle or that is contained within a household appliance or commercial, industrial or medical equipment.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Protection.
(8) "Litter" means all waste material, including, but not limited to, any garbage, refuse, trash, disposable package, container, can, bottle, paper, covered electronic devices, ashes, cigarette or cigar butt, carcass of any dead animal or any part thereof or any other offensive or unsightly matter, but not including the wastes of primary processes of mining, logging, sawmilling, farming or manufacturing.
(9) "Litter receptacle" means those containers suitable for the depositing of litter at each respective public area designated by the secretary's rules promulgated pursuant to subsection (e), section three of this article.
(10) "Manufacturer" means a person that is the brand owner of a covered electronic device or television sold or offered for sale in this state by any means, including transactions conducted through retail sales outlets, catalogs or the Internet.
(11) "Person" means a natural person, corporation, firm, partnership, association or society and the plural as well as the singular.
(12) "Public area" means an area outside of a municipality, including public road and highway rights-of-way, parks and recreation areas owned or controlled by this state or any county of this state or an area held open for unrestricted access by the general public.
(13) "Recyclable materials" means those materials that would otherwise become solid waste for disposal in a refuse disposal system and which may be collected, separated or processed and returned to the marketplace in the form of raw materials or products.
(14) "Remediate or remediation" means to remove all litter, solid waste and tires located above grade at a site: Provided, That remediation does not include clean up of hazardous waste.
(15) "Television" means any telecommunication system device that can receive moving pictures and sound broadcast over a distance and includes a television tuner or a video display device peripheral to a computer in which the display contains a television tuner.
(16) "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection.
(17) "Video display device" means an electronic device with an output surface that displays or is capable of displaying moving graphical images or visual representations of image sequences or pictures that show a number of quickly changing images on a screen to create the illusion of motion. Video display device includes a device that is an integral part of the display and cannot easily be removed from the display by the consumer and that produces the moving image on the screen. A "video display device" may use a cathode-ray tube (CRT), liquid crystal display (LCD), gas plasma, digital light processing, other image-projection technology or imaging display technologies.
(18) "Waste tire" means any continuous solid or pneumatic rubber covering designed to encircle the wheel of a vehicle but which has been discarded, abandoned or is no longer suitable for its original, intended purpose nor suitable for recapping, or other beneficial use because of wear, damage or defect. A tire is no longer considered to be suitable for its original intended purpose when it fails to meet the minimum requirements to pass a West Virginia motor vehicle safety inspection. Used tires located at a commercial recapping facility or tire dealer for the purpose of being reused or recapped are not waste tires.
(19) "Waste tire monofill or monofill" means an approved solid waste facility where no solid waste except waste tires are placed for the purpose of long term storage for eventual retrieval for marketing purposes.
(20) "Waste tire processing facility" means a solid waste facility or manufacturer that accepts waste tires generated by sources other than the owner or operator of the facility for processing by such means as cryogenics, pyrolysis, pyroprossing cutting, splitting, shredding, quartering, grinding or otherwise breaking down waste tires for the purposes of disposal, reuse, recycling and/or marketing.
(21) "Waters of the state" means generally, without limitation, natural or artificial lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, branches, brooks, ponds, impounding reservoirs, springs, wells, watercourses and wetlands.
(22) "Yard waste" means grass clippings, weeds, leaves, brush, garden waste, shrub or tree prunings and other living or dead plant tissues, except that materials, which due to inadvertent contamination or mixture with other substances which render the waste unsuitable for composting, are not yard waste: Provided, That the same or similar waste generated by commercial agricultural enterprises is excluded.