(a) There is hereby created a Task Force to Study the Feasibility of Establishing a Correctional Facility for the Incarceration and Treatment of Sex Offenders.
(b) The task force consists of the following members:
(1) The Secretary of the Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, or his or her designee;
(2) The Commissioner of the Division of Corrections, or his or her designee;
(3) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Resources, or his or her designee;
(4) The Commissioner of the Bureau for Behavioral Health and Health Facilities, or his or her designee; and
(5) The Director of the Division of Criminal Justice Services, or his or her designee.
(c) The task force shall designate the chair of the task force.
(d) The Legislature directs the task force to:
(1) Study whether sex offenders can be treated and rehabilitated;
(2) Study the feasibility and cost effectiveness of operating a separate correctional facility for the incarceration and treatment of sex offenders;
(3) Study the findings and recommendations from relevant national advisory committees, federal agencies, and peer-reviewed medical, correctional, and legal literature; and
(4) Identify and recommend alternatives to establishing a separate facility, if a separate facility is not feasible and cost effective.
(e) The task force may conduct inquiries and hold hearings in furtherance of its objectives and in order to provide utilities subject to its jurisdiction and other interested persons the opportunity to comment.
(f) All actual and necessary travel expenses of the members of the task force shall be reimbursed by the member's employing agency. All other expenses incurred by the task force shall be paid by the Division of Corrections.
(g) The task force shall make its final report to the Governor and the Legislature regarding its findings and recommendations not later than July 1, 2007.