There is a Division of Professional Services established in the Department of Mental Health. The supervisor of this division shall assist the director in the operation of the programs or services of the department and shall be a qualified psychiatrist.
The supervisor of this division has the following powers and duties:
(1) To develop professional standards, provide supervision of state hospitals, analyze hospital programs and inspect individual hospitals.
(2) To assist in recruiting professional staff.
(3) To take primary responsibility for the education and training of professional and subprofessional personnel.
(4) To carry on or stimulate research activities related to medical and psychiatric facilities of the department, and render specialized assistance to hospital superintendents.
(5) To establish liaison with appropriate state agencies and with private groups interested in mental health, including the state Bureau for Public Health, Division of Corrections, the Department of Education, the Board of Governors of West Virginia University, and the West Virginia Association for Mental Health, Incorporated.
(6) To license, supervise and inspect any hospital, center or institution, or part of any hospital, center or institution, maintained and operated by any political subdivision or by any person, persons, association or corporation to provide inpatient care and treatment for the mentally ill, or individuals with an intellectual disability, or both.
(7) To perform any other duties assigned to the division by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Resources.