‹ Back  |  print page Print



§30-30-12. License to practice as a licensed graduate social worker.

(a) To be eligible for a license to practice as a graduate social worker, the applicant must:

(1) Submit an application to the board;

(2) Be at least eighteen years of age;

(3) Be of good moral character;

(4) Have obtained a master's degree from a school of social work accredited by the council on social work education;

(5) Have passed an examination approved by the board;

(6) Have satisfied the board that he or she merits the public trust by providing the board with three letters of recommendation from persons not related to the applicant;

(7) Not be an alcohol or drug abuser, as these terms are defined in section eleven, article one-a, chapter twenty-seven of this code: Provided, That an applicant in an active recovery process, which may, in the discretion of the board, be evidenced by participation in an acknowledged substance abuse treatment and/or recovery program may be considered;

(8) Not have been convicted of a felony in any jurisdiction within five years preceding the date of application for license which conviction remains unreversed;

(9) Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony in any jurisdiction if the offense for which he or she was convicted related to the practice of social work, which conviction remains unreversed; and

(10) Meet any other requirements established by the board.

(b) A licensed graduate social worker may engage in the practice of clinical social work, if he or she has:

(1) Obtained a master's degree from a school of social work accredited by the council on social work education that included a concentration of clinically oriented course work as defined by the board;

(2) Has completed a supervised clinical field placement at the graduate level, or post-master's clinical training that is found by the board to be equivalent;

(3) Has contracted, in writing, with a licensed clinical social worker who shall assume responsibility for and supervise the certified social worker's practice as directed by the board by promulgation of legislative rules;

(4) Be employed by an institution or organization in which the graduate social worker has no direct or indirect interest other than employment.

(c) A graduate social worker may not practice clinical social work until this contract has been approved by the board, and shall cease the practice of clinical social work immediately upon the termination of the contract. At the termination of the contract, the graduate social worker shall apply for licensure as a licensed independent clinical social worker or request an extension of the contract from the board.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2020 West Virginia Legislature ****