(a) In addition to other powers conferred by this chapter, the board has the power to:
(1) Regulate its own procedure and practice;
(2) Promulgate reasonable rules to implement any provision of this article in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code;
(3) Advise the Commissioner in all matters within his or her jurisdiction;
(4) Study the organization, programs and services of financial institutions and the laws relating thereto in this state and in other jurisdictions and to report and recommend to the Governor and the Legislature all such changes and amendments in laws, policies and procedures relating thereto as it considers proper;
(5) Grant permission and authority to a financial institution:
(A) To participate in a public agency hereafter created under the laws of this state or of the United States, the purpose of which is to afford advantages or safeguards to financial institutions or to depositors therein and to comply with all lawful requirements and conditions imposed upon those participants; and
(B) To pay interest on demand deposits of the United States or any agency thereof, if the payment of interest is permitted under any applicable federal law, rule or regulation; and
(6) Seek judicial enforcement to compel compliance with any of its orders and to seek and obtain civil penalties as set forth under this chapter.
(b) The Board also has the power, by entering appropriate orders, to:
(1) Restrict the withdrawal of deposits from any financial institution when, in the judgment of the board, extraordinary circumstances make the restrictions necessary for the protection of creditors of and depositors in the affected institution;
(2) Compel the holder of shares in any corporate financial institution to refrain from voting the shares on any matter when, in the judgment of the board, the order is necessary to protect the institution against reckless, incompetent or careless management, to safeguard funds of depositors in the institution or to prevent willful violation of any applicable law or of any rule and regulation or order issued thereunder. In such a case the shares of the holder may not be counted in determining the existence of a quorum or a percentage of the outstanding shares necessary to take any corporate action;
(3) Approve or disapprove applications to incorporate and organize state banking institutions in accordance with the provisions of sections six and seven, article four of this chapter;
(4) Approve or disapprove applications to incorporate and organize state-chartered bankers' banks in accordance with the provisions of sections six and seven, article four of this chapter;
(5) Exempt a bankers' bank from any provision of this chapter if the board finds that the provision is inconsistent with the purpose for which a bankers' bank is incorporated and organized and that the welfare of the public or any banking institution or other financial institution would not be jeopardized thereby;
(6) Revoke the certificate of authority, permit, certificate or license of any state banking institution to engage in business in this state if that institution fails or refuses to comply with any order of the Commissioner entered pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (A) or (B), subdivision (15), subsection (c), section four, article two of this chapter, or at the board's election to direct the Commissioner to apply to any court having jurisdiction for a prohibitory or mandatory injunction or other appropriate remedy to compel obedience to such order;
(7) Suspend or remove a director, officer or employee of any financial institution who is or becomes ineligible to hold that position under any provision of law or rule and regulation or order, or who willfully disregards or fails to comply with any order of the board or Commissioner made and entered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter or who is dishonest or grossly incompetent in the conduct of financial institution business and prohibit that director, officer or employee from participating in the affairs of any other financial institution until further order of the board;
(8) To receive from state banking institutions applications to establish branch banks by the purchase of the business and assets and assumption of the liabilities of, or merger or consolidation with, another banking institution or by the construction, lease or acquisition of branch bank facilities in an unbanked area; examine and investigate such applications, to hold hearings thereon and to approve or disapprove such applications, all in accordance with section twelve, article eight of this chapter;
(9) Approve or disapprove the application of any state bank to purchase the business and assets and assume the liabilities of, or merge or consolidate with, another state banking institution in accordance with the provisions of section seven, article seven of this chapter;
(10) Approve or disapprove the application of any state bank to purchase the business and assets and assume the liabilities of a national banking association, or merge or consolidate with a national banking association to form a resulting state bank in accordance with the provisions of section seven, article seven of this chapter; and
(11) In addition to any authority granted pursuant to section twelve, article eight of this chapter, incident to the approval of an application pursuant to subdivisions (7) or (8) of this subsection, permit the bank the application of which is so approved to operate its banking business under its name from the premises of the bank the business and assets of which have been purchased and the liabilities of which have been assumed by such applicant bank or with which the applicant bank has merged or consolidated: Provided, That this permission may be granted only if the board has made the findings required by subsection (f), section three of this article and such applicant bank has no common directors or officers nor common ownership of stock exceeding ten percent of total outstanding voting stock with the bank whose business and assets are being purchased and liabilities assumed, or with whom the applicant bank is being merged; and
(12) To receive an appeal from any party who is adversely affected by an order of the Commissioner issued pursuant to section twelve-d, article eight of this chapter and hold hearings in accordance with the provisions of article five, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code.
(c) A provision of this section may not be construed to alter, reduce or modify the rights of shareholders, or obligations of a banking institution in regard to its shareholders, as set forth in section one hundred seventeen, article one, chapter thirty-one of this code and section seven, article seven of this chapter, and other applicable provisions of this code.
(d) Any order entered by the West Virginia Board of Banking and Financial Institutions pursuant to this section is a matter of public record.