(1) “Abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug product” means a brand name or generic opioid analgesic drug product approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration with abuse-deterrent labeling that indicates its abuse-deterrent properties are expected to deter or reduce its abuse;
(2) “Cost-sharing” means any coverage limit, copayment, coinsurance, deductible or other out-of-pocket expense requirements;
(3) “Opioid analgesic drug product” means a drug product that contains an opioid agonist and is indicated by the United States Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of pain, regardless of whether the drug product:
(A) Is in immediate release or extended release form; or
(B) Contains other drug substances.
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of any policy, provision, contract, plan or agreement to which this article applies, on or after January 1, 2017:
(1) Coverage shall be provided for at least one abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug product for each active opioid analgesic ingredient;
(2) Cost-sharing for brand name abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug products shall not exceed the lowest tier for brand name prescription drugs on the entity’s formulary for prescription drug coverage;
(3) Cost-sharing for generic abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug products covered pursuant to this section shall not exceed the lowest cost-sharing level applied to generic prescription drugs covered under the applicable health plan or policy; and
(4) An entity subject to this section may not require an insured or enrollee to first use an opioid analgesic drug product without abuse-deterrent labeling before providing coverage for an abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug product covered on the entity's formulary for prescription drug coverage.
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (3), subsection (b) of this section, an entity subject to this section may undertake utilization review, including preauthorization, for an abuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug product covered by the entity, if the same utilization review requirements are applied to nonabuse-deterrent opioid analgesic drug products and with the same type of drug release, immediate or extended.
(d) For purposes of subsection (b) of this section, the lowest tier and the lowest cost-sharing level shall not mean the cost-sharing tier applicable to preventive care services which are required to be provided at no cost-sharing under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.