(1) Any person who shall knowingly and with fraudulent intent secure or attempt to secure compensation from the Workers' Compensation Fund, a private carrier or from a self-insured employer:
(A) That is larger in amount than that to which he or she is entitled; or
(B) That is longer in term than that to which he or she is entitled; or
(C) To which he or she is not entitled, shall be guilty of a larceny and, if the amount is $1,000 or more, such person shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned in a state correctional facility not less than one nor more than ten years or, in the discretion of the court, be confined in a county or regional jail not more than one year and shall be fined not more than $2,500. If the amount is less than $1,000, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be confined in a county or regional jail for a term not to exceed one year or fined an amount not to exceed $2,500, or both, in the discretion of the court.
(2) Any person who shall knowingly and willfully make a false report or statement under oath, affidavit, certification or by any other means respecting any information required to be provided under chapter twenty-three of this code shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be confined in a state correctional facility for a definite term of imprisonment which is not less than one year nor more than three years or fined not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or both, in the discretion of the court.
(3) In addition to any other penalty imposed, the court shall order any person convicted under this section to make full restitution of all moneys paid by the Workers' Compensation Fund, private carrier or self-insured employer as the result of a violation of this section. The restitution ordered shall constitute a judgment against the defendant and in favor of the State of West Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission, private carrier or self-insured employer.
(4) If the person so convicted is receiving compensation from such fund, private carrier or employer, he or she shall, from and after such conviction, cease to receive such compensation as a result of any alleged injury or disease.
(5) Venue for prosecution of any violation of this section shall either be the county in which the claimant resides, the county in which the claimant is employed or working, or in Kanawha County where the Workers' Compensation Fund is located.