West Virginia Code
1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS AND DEFINITI
2 - Â JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS
3 - REPRESENTATION
4 - CREATION, VALIDITY, MODIFICATIO
5 - CREDITOR'S CLAIMS; SPENDTHRIFT
6 - REVOCABLE TRUSTS
7 - OFFICE OF THE TRUSTEE
8 - DUTIES AND POWERS OF TRUSTEE
9 - UNIFORM PRUDENT INVESTOR ACT
10 - LIABILITY OF TRUSTEES AND RIG
11 - MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
44 D- 11 -1101
44 D- 11 -1102
44 D- 11 -1103
44 D- 11 -1104
44 D- 11 -1105
CHAPTER 44D. UNIFORM TRUST CODE.
ARTICLE 11. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS.
In applying and construing this chapter, consideration shall be given to the need to promote uniformity of the law with respect to its subject matter among states that enact it.
The provisions of this chapter governing the legal effect, validity or enforceability of electronic records or electronic signatures, and of contracts formed or performed with the use of the records or signatures, conform to the requirements of Section 102 of the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (15 U.S.C. § 7002) and supersede, modify, and limit the requirements of the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act.
If any provision of this chapter or its application to any person or circumstances is held invalid, the invalidity does not affect other provisions or applications of this chapter which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this chapter are severable.
This chapter takes effect on July 1, 2011.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter:
(1) This chapter applies to all trusts created before, on, or after July 1, 2011;
(2) This chapter applies to all judicial proceedings concerning trusts commenced on or after July 1, 2011;
(3) This chapter applies to judicial proceedings concerning trusts commenced before July 1, 2011, unless the court finds that application of a particular provision of this chapter would substantially interfere with the effective conduct of the judicial proceedings or prejudice the rights of the parties, in which case the particular provision of this chapter does not apply and the superseded law applies;
(4) Any rule of construction or presumption provided in this chapter applies to trust instruments executed before July 1, 2011, unless there is a clear indication of a contrary intent in the terms of the trust instrument; and
(5) An act done before July 1, 2011 is not affected by this chapter.
(b) If a right is acquired or vested before July 1, 2011, or if a right is extinguished or barred upon the expiration of a prescribed period that has commenced to run under any other statute before July 1, 2011, that right or statute continues to apply even if the statute has been repealed or superseded.