Senate Bill No. 515
(By Senators Cole, Carmichael, Green, D. Hall and Stollings)
[Introduced March 13, 2013; referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure; and then to the Committee on the Judiciary.]
A BILL to amend and reenact §17C-15-42 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, relating to television receivers and other devices installed in vehicles; restrictions; conditions for use; and inapplicability of section to specific devices.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:
That §17C-15-42 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, be amended and reenacted to read as follows:
ARTICLE 15. EQUIPMENT.
§17C-15-42. Television receivers in view of driver prohibited.
(a) No motor vehicle shall may be operated on any a street or highway in this state when equipped with a television receiver unless such receiver is so placed that the screen or picture tube of such receiver is visible only in the rear seat of such motor vehicle and not in view of the operator of such motor vehicle. the receiver is configured so that the moving images are not in view of the operator while the vehicle is in motion.
(b) This section does not apply to the following equipment installed in a vehicle:
(1) A visual display if it does not show video or television broadcast images in view of the operator while the motor vehicle is in motion;
(2) A global positioning device;
(3) A mapping display;
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle;
(5) A visual display used to enhance or supplement a driver's view of vehicle occupants;
(6) Television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or traffic engineering information; or
(7) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen for other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal if the equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display described in paragraphs (1) through (6) of this subsection.
(NOTE: The purpose of this bill is to establish conditions for use of television receivers in vehicles and to except specific devices from application of the section.
Strike-throughs indicate language that would be stricken from the present law and underscoring indicates new language that would be added.)