SB451 HFA Sponaugle and Hornbuckle 2-13 revised
Delegate Sponaugle moves to amend the HFIN Strike/Insert on page 56, section 2, line 2, by inserting the following: “(a) Law enforcement personnel” means state or local law enforcement personnel hired on as a per diem or salaried employee to provide security services to the school during the hours the school is open to students during a normal school day. Law enforcement personnel includes but is not limited to local city police, deputy sheriffs or other officers assigned by any law enforcement agency to the school to provide security for students at the school.”; And by re-lettering subsequent definitions accordingly;
On page 61, Section 8, line 50, following the period, by inserting a new subsection (d), to read as follows:
(d) Effective for the 2019-20 fiscal year and thereafter, the basic foundation allowance to the county for law enforcement personnel is the amount of money required to pay the state minimum salaries, in accordance with provisions of §18A-4-1 et seq. of this code, subject to the following:
(1) In making this computation, each county shall receive an allowance for four and seventy hundredths state aid eligible law enforcement personnel positions to each 1,000 students in net enrollment;
(2) For any law enforcement personnel positions, or fraction thereof, determined for a county pursuant to §18-9A-8(c)(1) of this code that exceed the number employed, the county’s allowance for these positions shall be determined using the average state funded salary of law enforcement support personnel for the county: Provided, That if law enforcement personnel are obtained through a contractual arrangement with an outside law enforcement agency, the county average state funded salary of the professional student personnel shall be used;
(3) The number of and the allowance for all personnel paid in part by state and county funds shall be prorated; and
(4) Where two or more counties join together in support of a vocational or comprehensive high school or any other program or service, the law enforcement personnel for the school or program may be prorated among the participating counties on the basis of each one's enrollment therein and the personnel shall be considered within the above-stated limit.
(5) For the 2019-20 fiscal year only, the number of positions funded for each county by subdivision (1) cannot be less than the number of positions that would have been funded in accordance with the previous methodology for determining the number of professional student support personnel positions funded for each county.
(6) The County is authorized to reimburse the law enforcement agency for the costs of providing a salaried employee to the school or may hire and pay law enforcement personnel as per diem employees outside his or her normal work hours to serve as law enforcement personnel, as provided in this section.”