(a) The construction, acquisition, improvement, equipment, custody, operation and maintenance of any works for the collection, treatment or disposal of sewage and, in addition, for the collection and control of stormwater and the collection of revenues therefrom for the service rendered thereby, shall be under the supervision and control of a sanitary board appointed by the governing body as set forth in section eighteen of this article.
(b) As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings unless the text clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) "Board" means the sanitary board as set up in section eighteen of this article.
(2) "Governing body" means the mayor and council or other legally constituted governing body of any municipality.
(3) "Municipality" means any municipal corporation, incorporated city, town, village or sanitary district in the State of West Virginia.
(4) "Sewage works" means a works for the collection and/or treatment, purification and disposal of sewage, in its entirety or any integral part thereof.
(5) "Stormwater system" or "stormwater works" means a stormwater system in its entirety or any integral part thereof used to collect and dispose of stormwater and an associated stormwater management program. It includes all facilities, structures and natural water courses used for collecting and conducting stormwater to, through and from drainage areas to the points of final outlet, including, but not limited to, any and all of the following: Inlets, conduits, corals, outlets, channels, ponds, drainage easements, water quality facilities, catch basins, ditches, streams, gulches, flumes, culverts, syphons, retention or detention basins, dams, floodwalls, levies, pipes, flood control systems and pumping stations, and associated stormwater management program. The term "stormwater system" and "stormwater works" shall not include highways, road and drainage easements, and/or stormwater facilities constructed, owned and/or operated by the West Virginia Division of Highways.
(6) "Stormwater management program" means those activities associated with the management, operation, maintenance and control of stormwater and stormwater works, including, but not limited to, public education, stormwater and surface runoff water quality improvement, mapping, planning, flood control, inspection, enforcement and any other activities required by state and federal law: Provided, That, as used in this article, "stormwater management program" shall not include those activities associated with the management, operation, maintenance and control of highways, road and drainage easements, and/or stormwater facilities constructed, owned and/or operated by the West Virginia Division of Highways without the express agreement of the commissioner of highways.
(7) "Works" means sewage works and stormwater works either separately or collectively.