(a) Whoever assumes the custody of a live-born infant of unknown parentage shall report, to the state Registrar, on a form and in a manner prescribed by the state Registrar, the following information:
(1) The date and city or county, or both, of finding;
(2) Sex and approximate birth date of child;
(3) Name and address of the person with whom or the institution with which the child has been placed for care;
(4) Name given to the child by the custodian of the child; and
(5) Other data required by the state Registrar.
(b) The place where the child was found shall be entered as the place of birth.
(c) A report registered under this section shall constitute the certificate of birth for the child.
(d) If the child is identified and a certificate of birth is found or obtained, the report registered under this section shall be placed in a special file and may not be subject to inspection except upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction or as provided by rule.