‹ Back  |  print page Print

§18-11-21. Deposit of official books, etc., with division of documents; certified copies as evidence.

Any state, county or other official, except the state historian and archivist, who is the lawful custodian thereof may turn over to the division of documents, West Virginia University, with its consent, as custodian, for permanent preservation and record any official books, records, documents, original papers, or files, or any printed books, records, documents, or reports, not in current use in his office. The division of documents, West Virginia University, is authorized to act as custodian and to receive gifts of historical material from any person or institution.

The division of documents, West Virginia University, shall give a written receipt to any official from whom property is received and shall record in an annual report to the board of Governors a complete list of all property received.

After request of any person entitled thereto, the division of documents shall furnish a certified copy of any record, document, or paper in its possession, upon the payment by the applicant of the cost of transcription. Such copy shall be certified by the head of the division of documents before a notary public, and when so certified shall be entitled to the same weight as evidence as though certified by the official by whom such record, document, or paper was deposited with the division of documents.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature *