In this article, unless a different meaning plainly is required:
(1) "Adventure or recreational activity" means any program or activity sponsored by a nonprofit youth organization and conducted by the organization or its provider that involves inherent risks, including, but not limited to:
(A) All-terrain vehicle activities and similar activities, including all activities within the ATV Responsibility Act in article fifteen of this chapter;
(B) Biking, mountain-biking and similar activities;
(C) Canopy activities, zip-lines and similar activities;
(D) Climbing and repelling and similar activities in improved and natural areas, including climbing walls;
(E) Equestrian activities and similar activities, including all activities within the Equestrian Activities Responsibility Act in article four of this chapter;
(F) Firearms training and similar activities;
(G) Hiking, backpacking, camping and similar activities;
(H) Paintball and similar activities;
(I) Rope initiatives, cope and confidence courses, challenge courses, slacklines, challenge courses and similar activities;
(J) Skating, including ice skating, rollerblading, and similar activities;
(K) Snow activities, including snowshoeing, snow skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, and similar activities, including all activities within the Skiing Responsibility Act in article three-A of this chapter;
(L) Spelunking, caving, and similar activities;
(M) Water sports, including swimming, diving, canoeing, kayaking, boating, sailing, scuba diving, water skiing, and similar activities, including all activities within the Whitewater Responsibility Act in article three-b of this chapter;
(N) Windsurfing and similar activities.
(2) "Employee" means an officer, agent, employee, servant, or volunteer, whether compensated or not, whether full time or not, who is authorized to act and is acting within the scope of his or her employment or duties with the nonprofit youth organization or provider.
(3) "Nonprofit youth organization" means any nonprofit organization, including any subsidiary, affiliate or other related entity within its corporate or other business structure, that has been chartered by the United States Congress to train young people to do things for themselves and others, and that has established an area of at least six thousand contiguous acres within West Virginia in which to provide adventure or recreational activities for these young people and others.
(4) "Participant" means any person engaging in an adventure or recreational activity.
(5) "Provider" means any individual, sole proprietorship, partnership, association, public or private corporation, the United States or any federal agency, this state or any political subdivision of this state, and any other legal entity which engages, with or without compensation, in organizing, promoting, presenting or providing or assisting in providing an adventure or recreational activity sponsored by a nonprofit youth organization, including one that allows the nonprofit youth organization the use of its land for the adventure or recreational activity.