West Virginia Code
As used in this article, the following words and phrases have the meanings ascribed to them:
(a) "Board" means the Board of Directors for the West Virginia Center for Nursing;
(b) "Center" means the West Virginia Center for Nursing;
(c) "Commission" means the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission; and
(d) "Center for Nursing Fund" means the special revenue account established in section four, article three, chapter eighteen-c of this code.
(a) The West Virginia Center for Nursing is continued for the purpose of addressing the issues of recruitment and retention of nurses in West Virginia.
(b) The commission shall satisfy the following requirements:
(1) Provide suitable office space for the center;
(2) Provide staff support for the center as necessary;
(3) Share statistics and other pertinent information with the center;
(4) Work cooperatively with the center to assist it in achieving its objectives; and
(5) Utilize moneys from the Center for Nursing Fund to perform its duties required by this article.
The center shall satisfy the following requirements:
(a) Establish a statewide strategic plan to address the nursing shortage in West Virginia;
(b) Collect, evaluate and disseminate data regarding nurse availability and shortage areas;
(c) Establish and maintain a website to disseminate information about the center and its mission, and educational opportunities and financial aid available in West Virginia;
(d) Evaluate capacity for expansion of nursing programs, including the availability of faculty, clinical laboratories, computers and software, library holdings and supplies;
(e) Consult with and advise the commission regarding the commission's administration of the nursing scholarship program designed to benefit nurses who practice in hospitals and other health care institutions or teach in state nursing programs as provided in section four, article three, chapter eighteen-c of this code; and
(f) Perform other activities necessary or expedient to accomplish the purposes and implement the provisions of this article.
(a) The center is governed by a board of directors consisting of the following members appointed by the Governor:
(1) Two representatives from the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses, as follows:
(A) One representing a bachelor or higher degree program; and
(B) One representing an associate degree program;
(2) One representative from the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Licensed Practical Nurses;
(3) One representative from the West Virginia Nurses Association;
(4) One nurse representing a rural health care facility;
(5) One director of nursing;
(6) One health care administrator;
(7) One registered professional staff nurse engaged in direct patient care;
(8) One licensed practical nurse engaged in direct patient care;
(9) Two citizen members as required by section four-a, article one, chapter thirty of this code;
(10) Two ex officio, nonvoting members, as follows:
(A) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Resources or his or her designee; and
(B) A representative from WorkForce West Virginia.
(b) Members are appointed for four-year terms. A member may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
(c) The board shall elect annually from its voting members a president and a secretary as required by section three, article one, chapter thirty of this code. A majority of the appointed members constitutes a quorum.
(d) The Governor shall fill any vacancy within thirty days of occurrence.
(e) The members of the board who are in office on the effective date of this section, unless sooner removed, shall continue to serve until their successors have been appointed and qualified.
(a) The board has the following powers and duties:
(1) Determine policy for the operation of the center to accomplish the purposes of this article; and
(2) Advise the commission on matters pertaining to the administration of the Nursing Scholarship Program pursuant to section four, article three, chapter eighteen-c of this code.
(b) The commission shall provide to the board administrative and professional staff support as needed from the Center for Nursing Fund.
(a) Members of the board serve without compensation, but may be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred for each day, or portion thereof, in which they are engaged in the discharge of official duties. Reimbursements are made in a manner consistent with guidelines of the travel management office of the commission.
(b) The commission shall provide reimbursement for members' expenses from the Center for Nursing Fund.
The center shall report by December 1, 2014, and biennially thereafter, to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Health and Human Resources Accountability and the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability on its progress in developing a statewide strategic plan to address the nursing shortage in West Virginia and on any other issues the board considers relevant to the practice of nursing in this state. Additionally, the board shall provide drafts of any legislation needed to implement recommendations of the center's strategic plan.
Acts, 2014 Reg. Sess., Ch. 137.
Acts, 2014 Reg. Sess., Ch. 137.
Acts, 2010 Reg. Sess., Ch. 32.