HB2519 HFA Shott 2-25 #9
Delegate Shott moved to amend the Committee Substitute on page 45, line 103, after the word “code” by inserting the following:
“(j)(1) A state institution of higher education may establish rules, regulations, or other provisions concerning the storage of handguns in dormitories or other residential facilities that are owned or leased and operated by the institution and located on the campus of the institution.
(2) After consulting with students, staff, and faculty of the institution regarding the nature of the student population, specific safety considerations, and the uniqueness of the campus environment, the president or other chief executive officer of an institution of higher education in this state shall establish reasonable rules, regulations, or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns by license holders on the campus of the institution or on premises located on the campus of the institution.
(3) The president or officer may not establish provisions that generally prohibit or have the effect of generally prohibiting license holders from carrying concealed handguns on the campus of the institution.
(4) The president or officer may amend the provisions as necessary for campus safety.
(5) The provisions take effect as determined by the president or officer unless subsequently amended by the governing board. The institution must give effective notice, with respect to any portion of a premises on which license holders may not carry.
(j) Not later than the 90th day after the date that the rules, regulations, or other provisions are established as described herein, the governing board of the institution of higher education shall review the provisions. The governing board may, by a vote of not less than two-thirds of the board, amend wholly or partly the provisions established under Subsection (k)(2). If amended under this subsection, the provisions are those of the institution.
(k) An institution of higher education shall widely distribute the rules, regulations, or other provisions described herein to the institution's students, staff, and faculty, including by prominently publishing the provisions on the institution's Internet website.
(l) Not later than September 1 of each even-numbered year, each institution of higher education in this state shall submit a report to the legislature and to the standing committees of the legislature with jurisdiction over the implementation and continuation of this section that:
(1) describes its rules, regulations, or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns on the campus of the institution; and
(2) explains the reasons the institution has established those provisions.”