‹ Back  |  print page Print



§30-13-17. Certificates of authorization required; naming of engineering firms.

(a) No person or firm is authorized to practice or offer to practice engineering in this state until the person or firm has been issued a certificate of authorization by the board.

(b) A person or firm desiring a certificate of authorization must file all the required information with the board on an application form specified by the board. The required information shall include the sworn statement of the engineer in responsible charge who is a professional engineer registered in this state. The board shall issue a certificate of authorization to an applicant who has met all the requirements and paid the fees set forth in board rules.

(c) No person or firm is relieved of responsibility for the conduct or acts of its agents, employees, officers or partners due to compliance with the provisions of this article. No individual practicing engineering under the provisions of this article is relieved of responsibility for engineering services performed due to his or her employment or other relationship with a person or firm holding a certificate of authorization.

(d) An engineer who renders occasional, part-time or contract engineering services to or for a firm may not be designated as being in responsible charge for the professional activities of the firm unless that engineer is an owner or principal of the firm.

(e) The Secretary of State shall not issue a certificate of authority or business registration or license to an applicant whose business includes, among the objectives for which it is established, the words engineer, engineering or any modification or derivation thereof unless the board of registration for this profession has issued to the applicant a certificate of authorization or a letter indicating eligibility to receive the certificate. The certificate or letter from the board shall be filed with the application filed with the Secretary of State to do business in West Virginia.

(f) The Secretary of State shall decline to register a trade name or service mark which includes the words engineer, engineering or modifications or derivatives thereof in its business name or logotype except those businesses holding a certificate of authorization issued under the provisions of this article.

(g) The certificate of authorization may be renewed or reinstated in accordance with board rule and upon payment of the required fees.

(h) Every holder of a certificate of authorization has a duty to notify the board promptly of any change in information previously submitted to the board in an application for a certificate of authorization.

Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2017 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2020 West Virginia Legislature *