(a) When any person alleges that he or she has been the victim of an offense proscribed by this article, the West Virginia prosecuting attorneys institute shall pay to a licensed medical facility from the forensic medical examination fund the cost of the forensic medical examination for the alleged victim on the following conditions and in the following manner:
(1) The payment shall cover all reasonable, customary and usual costs of the forensic medical examination;
(2) The costs of additional nonforensic procedures performed by the licensed medical facility, including, but not limited to, prophylactic treatment, treatment of injuries, testing for pregnancy and testing for sexually transmitted diseases, may not be paid from the fund: Provided, That nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit a licensed medical facility from seeking payment for services referred to in this subdivision from the alleged victim or his or her insurer, if any;
(3) The forensic medical examination must have been conducted within a reasonable time of the alleged violation;
(4) The licensed medical facility must apply for payment of the costs of a forensic medical examination from the fund within a reasonable time of the examination;
(5) The licensed medical facility shall certify that the forensic medical examination was performed and may submit a statement of charges to the West Virginia prosecuting attorneys Institute for payment from the fund.
(b) No licensed medical facility may collect the costs of a forensic medical examination from the alleged victim of a violation of this article or from the alleged victim's insurance coverage, if any.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require an alleged victim of sexual assault to participate in the criminal justice system or to cooperate with law enforcement in order to be provided a forensic medical examination pursuant to the provisions of this section.