WEST virginia Legislature
2018 regular session
Senate Bill 557
By Senators Sypolt, Cline, Beach, Plymale, Baldwin, and Ojeda
15, 2018; Referred
to the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development]
A BILL to amend the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, by adding thereto a new section, designated §19-1-13, relating to the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program; making legislative findings and intent; creating the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund; and requesting additional funds to be added to the fund.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:
ARTICLE 1. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE.
§19-1-13. Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund.
(a) The Legislature finds and declares that:
(1) The West Virginia Department of Agriculture has participated in the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program since the program’s inception in 2001 and competes with other states for federal grant funding. The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program currently provides vouchers to eligible seniors to purchase produce at farmers markets around the state.
(2) The voucher is beneficial to both the seniors who receive the health benefits of additional produce in their diets and local farmers benefit from the additional moneys being used to purchase produce at local farmers markets.
(3) According to the Center for Disease Control, healthy diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic diseases. Fruits and vegetables also provide essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, and other substances that are important for good health.
(4) In 2010, 23,750 eligible seniors received $20 in vouchers.
(5) The state should consider adding $30 to the amount of the current voucher.
(b) There is created a Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund with the specific purpose of supplementing the federal funds received for the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program.
(c) Moneys in the Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund at the close of the fiscal year remain in the Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund and do not lapse to the general revenue.
(d) It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this section to create a fund subject to general revenue appropriation to provide for additional moneys to be used for the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program.
NOTE: The purpose of this bill is to develop a Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program Fund within the Department of Agriculture. The bill also asks that the state consider adding an additional $30 to the vouchers.
Strike-throughs indicate language that would be stricken from a heading or the present law, and underscoring indicates new language that would be added.
FINANCE COMMITTEE AMENDMENT
On page one, section 13, line 13, by striking out “$30” and inserting in lieu thereof “$10”.