PERD has produced 626 reports since its creation.
› View Our Reports Online
› Employment Opportunities
National State Auditor's Association Peer Review
2017 Peer Review of the Performance Evaluation & Research Division
2014 Peer Review of the Performance Evaluation & Research Division
West Virginia Performance Review Act Schedule
Scheduled Agency Reviews:
- The Department of Health and Human Resources, including the Bureau of Senior Services
- The Department of Transportation
Scheduled Regulatory Board Reviews:
- Board of Acupuncture; Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists; and Board of Examiners in Counseling
- Board of Hearing Aid Dealers; Board of Licensed Dietitians; and Nursing Home Administrators Board
Physical Therapy, Board of - Letter Report
Report to review whether the Board of Physical Therapy is allowing licensed physical therapists to perform dry needling and whether the Board was allowing licensed physical therapists to perform auricular acudetox therapy.
The State Police lack written policies and procedures establishing appropriate internal control over purchasing.
Athletic Trainers (Board of Physical Therapy)- Letter Report
Letter report regarding the Board of Physical Therapy's process of complaints filed against athletic trainers.
Reports of Interest
Office of Miners' Health, Safety, and Training
The Office of Miners' Health, Safety, and Training has accumulated fund balances that well exceed operating expenses and has become an uneconomical use of state resources.
Parks and Recreation Section, Division of Natural Resources
The West Virginia Park System continues to lack the necessary resources to adequately reduce the number of deferred maintenance and capital improvement projects.
Funeral Service Examiners, Board of
The Legislative Auditor finds that when the Board is faced with a case where a licensee is acting in a fraudulent manner, the Board either accommodates the licensee, or it waits for law enforcement to take disciplinary action.
Who We Are
The Performance Evaluation and Research Division (PERD) has been in operation since 1994 as a division of the West Virginia Legislative Auditor’s Office. PERD conducts performance evaluations under the Legislative Auditor’s authority – Chapter 4, Article 2, Section 5
of the WV Code – and agency reviews and regulatory board reviews per the West Virginia Performance Review Act – Chapter 4, Article 10
. Also, the Division conducts research on special topics as requested by the Legislature or mandated by separate legislation. Most reviews are presented by PERD staff to the Joint Committee on Government Operations
and the Joint Committee on Government Organization.
It is our mission to provide useful information to the Legislature for legislative decision-making and hold state government accountable for its performance by:
• measuring the performance of state agencies by measuring outputs, outcomes, compliance and impact in relation to the purpose for which they were created;
• determining whether there is still a need for an agency or program;
• measuring the impact of agencies on citizens of the state; and
• reporting findings and recommendations to the Legislature in a concise and timely manner.
John Sylvia, Director
Performance Evaluation & Research Division
State Capitol Complex
Building 1, Room 314W
Charleston, West Virginia 25305
Phone: (304) 347-4890
Fax: (304) 347-4939
Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
› Employment Opportunities
› Staff Directory