Member's Press Release

Release Date: 12/03/2009
Contact: Delegate David Walker, (304) 340-3135

David Walker

Veterans and Active Duty Service Personnel Have Educational Opportunities

West Virginia lawmaker Delegate David Walker (D) wants to inform state veterans, guardsmen, active duty service personnel and coast guardsmen of the numbers of educational opportunities available to them within colleges and universities and technical schools.

“I know that within my district there are a good many members within our military ranks who are not aware of the educational programs available through the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.” Walker said. “In these economic times many individuals, not in the service, are being retrained to participate in the job market. I think it is imperative to inform the brave men and women who have served or are serving in our Armed Forces that they have financial assistance should they wish to advance their skills.”

For instance:

Veterans are encouraged seek more information on these benefit programs or apply at

“Also,” Walker said, “there are apprenticeships and on-the-job training programs where VA benefits can be used to supplement a trainee’s income.”

A variety of programs are available at job training facilities statewide which meet certain approval criteria specified in U.S. Code.

“These apprenticeships include boilermaker, carpenter, correctional officer, electrician, fire fighter, iron worker, heavy equipment mechanic, operating engineer, plumber/steamfitter, police officer and sheet metal worker,” Walker said. “These jobs pay well. Veterans and active duty personnel should take advantage of the benefits they have truly earned.”

Nearly all public and private colleges and universities have programs approved for degrees or certificates in a variety of academic fields. Included are programs offered at accredited medical facilities for Nursing, Radiologic Technology, etc.

Non-college degree programs are offered in West Virginia’s vocational/technical career centers. Some of these include cosmetology and barbering schools. Private training facilities also have approved programs.

Walker said that individuals who are seeking information and assistance on VA-related matter should contact the particular institution of the facility’s VA Certifying Official.

General information may be obtained by visiting or, by calling the Office of Veterans Education and Training Programs at 304-558-0263

All Releases
This Web site is maintained by the West Virginia Legislature's Office of Reference & Information.  |  Terms of Use  |   Web Administrator   |   © 2018 West Virginia Legislature **